Sunday, June 7, 2009

Arrival in Seattle

June 6, 2009

Today has been an exciting, but very long day. I left Indianapolis at 7am this morning for my first official day of "Journey of Hope." I was greeted at the Seattle airport by some of the crew members. We grabbed lunch and then headed to our hotel. I was eager to unpack my bike and make sure that it survived the long plane ride. I spent my free time this afternoon putting it together and then relaxed a bit.

We received our cycling jerseys today. They are navy blue and white with the words abilities, teamwork, empathy, and integrity on the front. The Pi Kappa Phi star shield is also on the chest of the jersey. After receiving my uniform, everything is starting to become more of a reality...in a few days, we will begin a cross-country journey! I am anxious to get on my bike and start riding.

Based on what I have seen so far, Seattle is a really neat city! Our hotel is right across from the needle. It has been fun meeting the 20 other cyclists and 6 crew members that will be on the TransAmerica route this summer. I can already tell that this will be a great adventure and I am looking forward to spending more time with these guys.

This evening we visited the University of Washington Alpha Delta Chapter of Pi Kappa Phi. After dinner, we visited with the chapter members before heading back to our hotel. I am really tired from traveling today, but I get to sleep in until 7am tomorrow. (Compared to the rest of the journey, 7am is now considered sleeping in!)

Thanks for following my blog. I will keep you all posted on the progress of my trip!

2 comments:

Sharon Vargo said...

Great to hear about your first day!

Ian said...

From a Pi Alpha, congrats on making the commitment to the JOH. This summer will go by so fast but the incredible memories will remain forever! I was just reminiscing on my 2006 blog and thought I'd see if anyone was keeping one this year. Good luck on keeping up with the blog, you'll be surprised how many people will follow it with enthusiasm. I look forward to meeting you guys in Spokane this weekend, enjoy the state of Washington!