Monday, June 22, 2009

Butte, MT


June 21, 2009

We woke up early this morning to rain and very cold weather. After a breakfast prepared by our amazing crew, we left the lodging at 6am for our 65 mile ride. Before the team hit the road, we made a quick stop at the local candy store. The owner of the store opened it early for us so we could stop in for a visit before we left town. He was very excited to have the JOH team visiting and he provided us with plenty of free samples. The candy shop produces 500 lbs. of candy per day and they don't distribute any of it, it all stays in their store. As you can imagine, the shop was a true sight to see. I think that it put Willy Wonka's candy factory to shame. My personal favorite was his famous chocolate fudge. It was amazing. The early morning sugar gave us a boost of energy for the long day ahead.


We started today's ride with rain and extremely cold weather. Luckily, as we climbed, the weather let up slightly. We were challengedwith a 2,000 feet climb. It was a difficult ride, but well worth it. Once we reached the top of the mountain, there was a beautiful waterfall and wonderful scenery as we looked down into the valley. I encountered my first flat tire today, but I was able to use the supplies that I had with me to fix the tire and get back on the road. For some reason, I was extra sore on the bike today, so I am thankful that we arrived into Butte, MT before noon. Our lodging is being provided by the local YMCA, so we spent much of the afternoon relaxing in their pool.


This evening we had a friendship visit with BSW, an organization that assists disabled people in learning how to live independently. After our dinner, I spent some of my time cleaning my bike and giving it a quick tune-up. Some of the team took a trip to Wal-Mart to get some things we need before we head off to the next city.


No comments: